Well, I’ve posted some photos of the muslin process on Facebook, so I thought I’d take it to the blog to give my dress a little more play. Backstory- I have a fancy Shmancy event to go to in a couple of weeks and I found this to-die for brocade at Mood that cost me a small fortune. I was definitely heavily invested so I had to follow through. Nose to the grindstone this weekend and I cranked out the dress on a Sunday afternoon. Fairly happy with the results, just a couple of things I would change, but that is the norm for me.
Fabric- this is kind of a quilted brocade. It has dimension and a little bit of fluffiness and don’t forget about the lurex. It was a bitch to handle, but I came prepared. I didn’t want to interface the whole dress because it would only make the fabric heavier. Instead I took some of my lightest weight fusible and cut some bits to go around the neckline and armholes and the top portion of the skirt where the tucks are.
Dress is fully lined with stretch silk. I usually get bored by the lining so I half-ass it. This lining was ok, but not my best.
The tucks along the front require some patience, but because these tucks are similar to SB306 pattern I knew the best way to make them. 1) pin the tucks in place first. 2) check the tuck position against the bodice to make sure they will match the bodice seams 3) baste the tucks closed, extending down into the skirt about 3/4″. 4) Sew the skirt to the bodice and then remove all basting thread.
Finishings- I have an exposed zipper on the CB closure. The zipper is pretty fancy. It has satin tape and not to be tacky, but the zipper cost me $15 alone! Can you believe it! this was the most I have ever spent on a single zipper. (I will be going back to Sil Thread for my $1.00 zippers shortly).
The dress still needs a hem, but that’s not a big deal. I am currently debating adding beading to the bodice, but that may set me behind and become more involved than I want. I have patterns to make and new releases coming shortly so no more delays!